Feistan Spray Tan - Before Care/After Care Tanning Instructions
DO NOT USE ANY HOME SELF TANNING SOLUTIONS, 10 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR FEISTAN SPRAY TAN
(Feistan At Home is Okay to use up to 1 day before your spray tan appointment)
If you tanned for a Feis this past weekend, it will be okay for your Feistan appointment. Just make sure to EXFOLIATE EXTRA WELL!
If your skin is dry, you should be using moisturizer leading up to your tanning application (especially on the knees) but DO NOT apply any moisturizers, creams or anything that could inhibit the absorption of the tanning solution, the day of your tanning appointment. You should be showered and exfoliated.
1. Before tanning you should:
- Shower and Exfoliate. Exfoliating is very important especially on your knees and other dry areas.
- Shave your legs (If you are an older dancer and currently shave your legs, If you are a younger dancer and you don’t currently shave, that’s fine, your tan will look great)
- If your razor has a moisturizer strip on it (most do). It is very important to exfoliate your legs again and thoroughly wash them AFTER you shave. If you don’t, the moisturizer strip can adversely affect your tan.
- The last thing you should do before exiting the shower is EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE!!!
2. Be prepared for your tanning appointment
- Have loose dark colored cotton clothing with you, Preferably a Skirt instead of shorts, to put on after your Feistan (this will help avoid any issues while pulling up a pair of shorts right after your tanning procedure). Hotel management and security requests that dancers do Not walk around in bathing suits or equivalent. Bring a Skirt! Have flip flops with you to wear after you’ve been tanned.
- Wear underwear or a bathing suit (you will be tanned in either of the two, whichever you are more comfortable in. All of our technicians are female.
- DO NOT wear deodorant, moisturizer, perfume, or makeup to you appointment as any of these could hinder your skins ability to absorb the spray tanning solution. Make sure any and all sweat is thoroughly washed off. Even the slightest amount of sweat can hinder the absorption of the tan.
3. After tanning you should NOT:
- Shower for at least 8 hours…The longer you wait to shower off the bronzer, the darker and deeper your tan will be. For best results do not shower until the next day.
- Swim (Swimming should be avoided completely until after you compete, the chlorine could have an adverse affect on your tan)
- Sweat excessively or wear tight fitting clothing for at least 8 hours. You should wait at least 12 hours before wearing tights
- Wear your costume, dance socks, or tights until you have showered and rinsed off the excess bronzer after at least 8 hours. Again, the longer you wait to shower off the bronzer, the darker and deeper your tan will be.
- Exfoliate or shave
4. After at least 8 hours when you take your first shower:
- The water will turn brown. This is the excess bronzer rinsing off and is normal.
- Your first shower should be a rinsing shower. However, you DO want to rinse the excess bronzer off completely so apply the water thoroughly and use your hand to rinse your skin. If your tan doesn’t look uniform after you shower, that is an indication that you did not rinse off all of the Bronzer. Go back into the shower and finish rinsing off the bronzer.
- Do not use a wash cloth and do not scrub your tan, but do not be afraid to touch the tan.
- When you finish your shower, pat yourself dry, do not rub your tan with a towel.
- Moisturize your tan after the bronzer has been showered off. This will help keep your skin & your tan crisp and hydrated.
5. For best results after you tan:
- The longer you wait to shower after your spray tan the deeper and darker your tan will be.
- You should moisturize your tan (after the bronzer has been washed off) and avoid shaving to help the tan last longer. Your tan will last 4-7 days depending upon your natural skin color, the size of your pores and your ph balance.
- Remember that it is normal for some of the bronzer to come off on your clothes before you take your first shower. That is why we recommend wearing dark colored, loose fitting, older clothes during this time. It is possible that if you don’t fully rinse off the bronzer before wearing your costume, that some of the residual bronzer could transfer to the inside of your costume. DO NOT panic; use a warm, wet washcloth to remove as soon as possible.
- If you are getting a full body tan, we recommend that you wear a tank top or t-shirt under your costume.
- Clients may only be accompanied by female guardians. All services are performed by female technicians.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Does Air Brush Spray Tanning Work?
Your body is sprayed with a solution that contains a percentage of DHA (DiHydroxyacetone), a colorless solution that reacts with the protein in the outermost surface of your skin. When DHA and the protein in your skin oxidize, it creates a brown temporary color. The solution also contains a bronzer which helps in the oxidation process and helps the technician create a uniform tan.
2. Is Air Brush Spray Tanning Safe?
DHA has been approved for cosmetic use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Canadian Health Ministry. It is a non-toxic solution. DHA based sunless tanning has been recommended by the Skin Cancer Organization, the American Academy of Dermatology, The Canadian Dermatology Association, and the American Medical Association.
3. Will I Look Orange or Streaky?
No! Orange color is the result of older tanning agents that are no longer used in the spray tanning industry or the result of tanning pills. The DHA solution that Feistan uses is more refined and of a much higher quality than DHA solutions that were used in the past. Streakiness is caused by the improper application of home tanning creams and sprays.
4. Will My Tan Be Instant?
Yes your tan will be an instant tan that will continue to develop over the next six to twelve hours. Please follow the tanning instructions for the best results. However your true tan will be revealed after you wash off the bronzer. (8 hrs)
5. Should I apply moisturizer after I wash the bronzer off?
Yes, It is important to keep skin moisturized after spray tanning as dry, flaky skin will come off faster and the color will fade sooner. Moisturizing slows down the body’s natural exfoliation process.
6. Does The Tanning Solution Contain Any Sunscreen?
No! The tanning solution does not provide any protection from the sun and does not contain any sunscreen.
7. When Should I Get a Manicure or a Pedicure?
At least 36 hours before your air brush spray tanning appointment.
8. Can I Go Swimming Or Workout?
The same answer for showering applies to working out. You must wait at least 8 hours to give the DHA time to react with your skin before disturbing the application. Swimming should be avoided completely until after you compete. The chlorine can have an adverse affect on your tan.
9. I Have Waited At Least 8 Hours to shower After My Spray Tan, Why Did The Shower Water Turn Brown?
The bronzer in the solution is temporary and it is what gave you the immediate color. The real color is the result of the DHA reacting with the proteins in your skin. The real color develops behind the bronzer over 8 – 10 hours. So do not be alarmed when taking your first shower. The brown is the bronzer and it is supposed to come off. The lasting color is what is left behind.
10. Will The Tan Rub Off On My Clothes, Socks or Bed sheets?
There is a good chance that the bronzer will come off on your clothes and/or bed sheets before you take your first shower after the air brush spray tan is applied. It will come out in the wash as long as you do not wait and extremely long amount of time to wash the items. We recommend that you wear dark colored, older, loose fitting clothes. It is not recommended that you wear your dance socks, your costume, or tights before you have showered and rinsed the bronzer off after at least 8 hours.